Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Artistic Love Affair

After waking up much too early in the morning from a sleepless night spent tossing and turning, I have come to the conclusion that art is all I need.

Art has the ability to make you see the beauty in the world when you feel like there may be none left. Art has the ability to speak the absolute truth, without whispering a word. Art has the ability to evoke emotions that you never thought you were able to feel.

To me, art is passion, spice, and true love. Art embodies a love that will never go un-requited, a love that will never cause pain, a love that has stood the test of time. Art is like the perfect man; one who can be exciting and spontaneous while at the same time be calm and comforting, one who has grace, strength and eloquence, one who is always there for you, and one who can make you feel beautiful.

Like all affairs, I have a love-hate relationship with art. Some art fills me with such joy, that it makes my head spin and I instantly swoon. Some fills me with confusion, sorrow or anger. Still other art, no matter how hard it tries, just simply doesn't catch my eye and I lose all interest and instantly start scanning the room for a better piece to spend my time with.

Because I currently need a little cheer to brighten my day, I'll focus only on my all-time artistic love: Impressionism.

The Sex and the City fans out there will understand this: Impressionism is my "Mr. Big." Impressionism is ever-suave, romantic, and breaks all of the rules. I'll admit it, I'm totally, undeniably and deliriously head-over-heels for this daring "Mr. Big" of mine.

You see, in the 1860's, the early impressionists were the bad-boys of the art world. They broke all the rules of academic painting. They painted realistic scenes of modern life en plein air rather than in a studio. They used short, bold strokes that captured the essence of the subjects rather than the details, giving the paintings a romantic, dream-like feel.

These paintings are some of my favorites:

Claude Monet, The Artist's Garden at Argenteuil. 1873

The painting above is my absolute dream house. The painting below is my dream garden (sunflowers are my favorites!)

Claude Monet, Garden at Vetheuil. 1881

Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Promenade. 1882

James Tissot, The Bridesmaid. 1883-85

James Tissot, The Reception. 1883

Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Dance in the City. 1882

Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Luncheon. 1881

James Tissot, Jeune Femme en Bateau. 1870.

Camille Pissarro, Boulevard Montmartre. 1897


For those of you non art-obsessed folk, I urge you to also spark a love affair with art. Next time the world brings you down, take a day off from work, forget your mundane everyday responsibilities, and take yourself on a date to an art museum. Wander the halls and let the legendary images whisper their legacies and lend some inspiration to you.





keep it classy
xo
alissa

3 comments:

Poetic Painter said...

I couldn't agree more...life without art wouldn't be a real life.

Alissa Lentz said...

Very well said! Thanks for the comment! =)

THE DIVINITUS said...

... also these days, art justifies ... ugliness... [just by going after current definitions].