Sunday, June 21, 2009

H&M: An Oldie but a Goodie



So by now we've all heard about H&M && have shopped there so frequently that its lost any of its new-on-the-fashion-scene edge. However, after pigeonholing the store into being "too plain" or "too mainstream" or "trying too hard," I re-discovered its value today.

For fathers day, my family treated my dad to a nice lunch at a cute wine bar/bistro in Walnut Creek (which I will review in a later post about the city). Afterwords, we decided to take my dad on a much-needed and long, long-awaited shopping spree.

Since it was right next to the restaurant, H&M was the first place we went. I'll admit, I entered the store expecting to find nothing but cheap fabric with ugly prints, but quickly took back my negative thoughts. Lining the walls were cool dresses, nice tops && cute skirts, all with bright red tags proclaiming their extra-low prices ($10 for a purse, $15 for a top, I even snagged a great hat for just $3!).

For you men reading this blog (not many I presume), there were some AMAZING deals. For the gals, the fabric used to manufacture the clothing in the aforementioned deals was slightly on the cheap end, but this was not the case for the men, and the deals were even sweeter. I'm pretty sure my dad and brother doubled their wardrobes in this one visit. There were polos, shirts and button-downs for $10, nice pants for $30 and a few stunning jackets for just $60.

Besides the low prices, H&M's public relations initiatives caught my eye. H&M is making a colorful splash on the scene with its "Fashion Against AIDS" campaign. With bold, funky, avant-garde shirts proclaiming "Girls just wanna have safe sex" and "Life is too short, have SEX BE SAFE," this campaign is sure to cause quite a stir on the fashion scene.

Personally, I value what H&M is doing. Our generation, the young ones.. the bloggers.. the constantly connected.. are the ones who will make a change. We value BOLD. We value COLOR. We understand that the best way to get something done is to SHOUT until everyone is listening. This campaign resonates with us, and maybe with it, we'll be one step closer to making a real impact in the fight against AIDS.

The shirt I mentioned, with artist Cyndi Lauper, who is a participant in the campaign and designed the shirt above. The second shirt I mentioned, with Estelle, another participating artisit in the shirt that she designed. Yelle, another participating artisit, in her shirt. This one is one of my favorites from the collection. Dita Von Teese in her design. I absolutely adore this one! Katy Perry in a magazine spread promoting Fashion Against AIDS, in the shirt she designed.

As you probably guessed from my photo captions, the campaign involves pop culture through the use of popular artists such as the ones featured above. Each artist designs a collection for Fashion Against AIDS, to be sold at H&M stores. The campaign is very interactive. On the website, you can listen to the artists' music, create you own music video to be featured on youtube, create/download your own ringtone, create a very contemporary and artistic avatar, and of course, share this all with friends though the use of social media!


Check it out at: http://www.hm.com/us/fashion/fashionagainstaids__faa2009.nhtml#/faa2009/

If you want to shop online, H&M's site is a cool place to do it. You can upload a photo, enter your measurements.. basically create a mini virtual-world version of yourself && see how clothes look on you before you purchase!

Check that out at: http://www.hm.com/us/fashion/dressingroom__dressingroom.nhtml



keep it classy
xo
alissa

No comments: