Monday, June 22, 2009

Washington D.C: The Capitol of Nightlife

So for my second "city life" review, I thought it would make sense to write about the place that I've most recently traveled to: Washington D.C.

Honestly, I was taken by surprise at the culture, class && cool party scene found in this city. I'll admit, I expected the city to be full of old politicians with graying hair and permanent frowns etched on their faces with wrinkles.

However, this is so not the case! On the contrary, D.C. is full of attractive, goal-oriented young men && women who live by the motto, "work hard, play harder."

The city is bustling with nightlife. There are over 150 bars, all in centralized locations making it easy to walk from one place to the next. Go out in Dupont Circle or Chinatown && you'll be sure to run into a cool party or two.

Also, the metro system is one of the nation's best so its easy to get from one area to the next. The best part about it: trains run till midnight on weeknights and till 3:00 a.m. on weekends.

According to my friends who live out in D.C., bars, not clubs, are the way to go. There are a handful of clubs in D.C., and although I didn't get to check them out while I was there, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. However, if you are a fan of the club scene, check out Lima, the city's hot spot of the moment.

My favorite bar that I went out to was Rocketbar, in Chinatown. The place is huge, with three bars and two large rooms. The drinks are moderately-priced, the bartenders are chill, the flat-screens are always tuned to sports && the venue has tons of pool tables.



Oh && for those of you who like to sing, or as in my case, just like to publicly embarrass yourselves, some of the bars in D.C. have great karaoke nights, one of which I was lucky enough to witness during my stay.

While there, I stayed just outside D.C. in the city of Arlington at the Marriott hotel. Just a side note, if anyone was planning on staying there, don't. The service was horrible, the rooms were overpriced.. go to the Hampton Inn next door instead, which has better rooms && amazing service for 1/3 of the price.

No matter where you stay, D.C. really is a must-visit for anyone between 21 and 32.



keep it classy
xo
alissa

No comments: