Thursday, July 16, 2009

A New Look in a New City!

So there are only a handful of people in the entire world that I fully and whole-heartedly trust with my hair. And lucky for me, these people can be found at an adorable salon in NYC!

When I was 14, the first form of modeling I had ever done was actually for a hair show. (For more info about hair shows or to learn how to get involved with them, please read my previous post!) For 14 years, I had the exact same hair cut: long light brown hair, no highlights, no bangs, no style. This all changed when I walked into a casting for a show with Nick Arrojo.

Nick Arrojo and his team are to the hairstyling industry what the great European couture houses are to the fashion industry. They are the industry leaders, the trend-setters, the masters.

For that first show so many years back, Nick cut my hair into a short, cute, fashion-forward bob. The head colorist for the Arrojo team, James, added some red and gold tones. Since then, my hair has been a mix of wild styles matched with some vibrant colors, from all ends of the color spectrum.

All colors except blonde, that is. So naturally, since I am in a new city, I decided I need a new look! After just five days of being in the city, I walked into the Arrojo studio and walked out as a blonde.

For those of you who want a change, I urge you to also walk into the Arrojo studio. The stylists are innovative, friendly and full of personality. In fact, due to the energy exuded by the stylists, the salon itself seems to be bustling with a special kind of creative energy.

In the world of hairstyling, Nick Arrojo (photographed below) is a celebrity. He transforms women's looks weekly on the TLC's hit show, What Not to Wear, taught the art of hair coloring to Queer Eye's Kyan Douglas, and has a clientèle list that includes celebrities.


Lina (photographed above) is a master stylist on the Arrojo team. She cut my hair six months ago with the New Shag, an innovative cut that the Arrojo studio developed. The cut was done so well that even six months later, it looks great! In addition to working as part of the Arrojo team, Lina styles for high fashion runway shows, celebrities at the Sundance Film Festival and has been named as a top NYC hair stylist by Allure Magazine. Her fashion knowledge, combined with her warm personality, make her a great person to go to when seeking advice for a new look.

The Arrojo team will always have a place in my heart. They have transformed my look twice, once so many years ago when I was 14 with a boring hairstyle, and now when I wanted to venture into being a blonde. I hold the team in the highest regard and them my best recommendation!

To read Lina's feature in Allure, click on the following link: http://www.allure.com/directory/new_york_city/hair/cuts


keep it classy
xo
alissa

No comments: